Launched in 2002, Albatross Exploding Funnybooks has always been a labor of love for award-winning cartoonist Eric Powell. The label began as a means to publish Powell’s creator-owned series The Goon, which mainstream publishers had deemed “too different.” Although The Goon later found a home and wider audience with Dark Horse Comics, Powell continued to publish, celebrate, and cultivate creator-owned titles through Albatross Exploding Funnybooks. Including his all-ages comic Chimichanga and Rebecca Sugar’s Pug Davis. In 2016, Powell rededicated himself in earnest to his publishing company, launching his new fantasy series Hillbilly and other works such as the all-ages horror anthology Spook House and Brendon Small's Galaktikon.
In 2023 Eric rejoined Dark Horse Comics bringing Albatross over as a new imprint.
Eric Powell is a writer and artist from Nashville, Tennessee, who has contributed work for every major publisher in the comics industry. Powell has spent his career creating and promoting the validity and importance of creator-owned comics. His own critically acclaimed series The Goon launched in 1999 and quickly became an indie hit with a die-hard cult following.
• International Horror Guild Award: 2004 Best Illustrated Narrative
• Will Eisner Comic Industry Award: 2004 Best Single Issue/Single Story (The Goon #1)
• Will Eisner Comic Industry Award: 2005 Best Humor Publication
• Will Eisner Comic Industry Award: 2005 Best Continuing Series
• Will Eisner Comic Industry Award: 2008 Best Writer/Artist: Humor
• Will Eisner Comic Industry Award: 2008 Best Painter/Multimedia Artist: Interior Art (The Goon: Chinatown)
• Ghastly Award: 2015 Best One-Shot (The Goon: Theatre Bizarre)
• Yancy St. Award: 2016 Best Horror Comic (Hillbilly)
• Ringo Award: 2022 Best Non-Fiction Work ("Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done?")
• Ringo Award: 2022 Best Original Graphic Novel ("Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done?")
™ & © 2023 Eric Powell